Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes, we can!!

Yes, we can. And we did.

Barack Obama 44th US President. And with those words a long held hope finally broke free. A generation is rejoicing and the world is seeing things from a new perspective. This is one of those moments that people will ask you about in years to come. 'Where were you when Barack Obama was elected as the next president of the USA?' I was at work, watching the coverage live on the net. Technology is a wonderful thing.


I have dreamt about this moment for so long. I have hoped and wished and even prayed that it would come to pass. And now that it is here I feel validated and relieved and so very excited for the future. I know that Barack isnt MY president... but in a way he kinda is. His journey to the white house hasnt been entirely smooth. Negativity has tried to attach itself to almost everything he has done. But he never reduced himself to that level, he never gave up hope. The audacity of hope is a truly magical thing.


I heard John McCain's speech and was impressed with the way he handled it. He called on his supporters to unify under the new president. He told of how far the country has come, and what a worthy and honourable opponent Barack was. I thought that for the first time I had witnessed a truly memorable speech from McCain and I thank him for that.


I was able to catch some of Barack's victory speech. I am sure I will see more of it on the news tonight, but here are some snippets I thought worthy of recording.


"we cannot solve every problem but i will be honest to you about the challenges we face."

"...I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to — it belongs to you,"

"This election has many firsts, many stories that will be told for generations..."

"America we have come so far, we have seen so much and we have so much more to do."

"Let us summon the spirit of service, of patriotism and responsibility, where each of resolves to pitch in... In this country we rise and fall as one nation, as one people."

I am so proud of the power of humanity right now.
And of hope. Let the beacon of hope never fade.
Thank god for America (and Barack Obama).

No comments: