Saturday, April 26, 2008

I'll give you the basics.

Ever feel like you are standing on a busy footpath yelling at people, but no-one will stop and listen? You know they know you are there but they dont even acknowledge you. Ok, just me then. Sometimes I feel like a really small voice in a huge ocean of sound. Lack of sleep has made me somewhat reflective today. That proves the theory that you need a proper amount of sleep (and/or meditation) to have your mind function properly.

Guess what? Yep, rambling again.

Last night I attended a gig at The East Brunswick club. Now, I am not going to review it properly. As fun as that would be- it's been done before. Also, I would find it slightly hard to be judgemental. So instead you may accept a few comments about it all.

Neon Love - they had a song called 15, and we presumed that was how old they all were. Ok maybe 16. And WTF was with the dedication bit? I mean seriously, "I'd like to dedicate this song to Linda. I'd like to dedicate this song to Sarah. I'd like to dedicate this song to The Basics. I'd like to dedicate this song to Georgia. I'd like to dedicate this song to Penelope. I'd like to dedicate this song to my ego." It went on for about 10 minutes. And they werent even that good. They looked like indie guys who had raided their girlfriends closet.

Sparkadia - they started late and I was tired. And what's with turning everything up to 11 when the main act comes on? No, it doesnt work!! Turn all the freaky experimental 20 effect pedals stuff DOWN and then we might be able to hear the vocals better. And what is with the lead singers hair? I wonder if maybe he has a height issue. "Hey, you're short!!" "No I'm NOT! With this hair I am now 6 ft tall!!" Apart from those issues I actually enjoyed it.

The Basics - even though they went on second I am putting them last. They should have been the main act. Their sound, as always, was really great. I love a band who can have fun and take the piss out of themselves in the process. I cant believe they are still classed as an underground find -but the music elitist in me likes that fact. Rave, rave, rave. Blah, blah, blah.



That's all for now.

No comments: