Wednesday, June 18, 2008

the sydney journey

I dont know if there are many who are interested in this, but it may come to someone at the right time. So, with good intentions, I shall tell you a bit about my journey. Firstly, I did get cupcakes and they were loverley. But the main reason for my trip was to see the Dalai Lama. If you are at all interested in Buddhism then to receive blessings and teachings from the Dalai Lama (meaning: ocean teacher ie. a teacher with an oceanic like depth of wisdom) is a rare and huge honour. I went into this with a healthy dose of curiousity and interest and came out of it feeling completely vindicated, committed and humbled. Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso is incredible. His voice reminded me of Kamahl, and his cheeky spirit reminded me of my late Pop. When reading from the ancient texts and listening to his words spoken back by his translator he would often think of something amusing and sit there laughing like a little child. It was so becoming and heart felt and it touched many people. What affected me the most was hearing him speak his truth in English.

"No matter what religion or beliefs you may have, altruism
is an important part of being a good citizen of the human community."
As soon as I took my seat on the train heading to the Dome on Sunday, I was overcome with such a sense of warmth, community, friendship and compassion. There is nothing like it! Buddhism feels like home to me and I look forward to the continuation of this wonderful journey.
On another note - my second trip to Sydney just confirmed how hollow I think the city feels. It really lacks the heart of Melbourne. My opinion only.

No comments: