Thursday, June 5, 2008

dare to dream

Well we won round one. But I fear that the final round will be even harder.

Dare we dream about a new future? Dare we hope to find someone who is willing and able to bring about radical and beneficial change to the masses? Dare we put our faith and belief in someone so incredible that he might actually be too good for voters? When we see someone standing strong – tall in their beliefs, honesty and integrity with such strong conviction –well that is often too much for many of us to comprehend. We cant believe in that. We cant vote for that. We wont allow ourselves to reach for something so high, because we know that it is such a big step and if we fail we have a long way to fall. So we settle for less -in every part of our lives. We settle for less pay, less love, less friendship and less dreams. We actually dream less. Some of us get older and think that dreams must be given up as silly childish fodder and so focus on being ‘grown up’. But what does ‘grown up’ actually mean? Is it not ‘grown up’ to follow your heart and hopes and dream for more? I thought that that exact sentiment was the epitome of being an adult.


I stand here today (well actually I am sitting) to tell you that we MUST dare to dream. We must dare to believe that Obama can win the upcoming election and make vast improvements for America and the many countries who are watching this race so eagerly.
As he said, "Yet even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America; there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America."
Because if we can make this dream happen then anything truly is possible... and I have to believe that. Call me naive, call me a dreamer - you can call me whatever you want. Just never doubt that I speak my truth.

No comments: